NEEDING A LITTLE SELF-CARE?
I am an affiliate for Amazon. If you purchase any of the products on this page, I may get a small commission at no additional cost to you.
In light of the current pandemic crisis, it’s important to remember to breathe deeply and not only take care of others but to take care of yourself as well
It’s vital to get enough rest, renew your mind and feed your spirit the Word of God.
When our minds are overcome with stress, it can have a serious impact on our physical and emotional health. Therefore, it’s especially important to take the time to invest in the care of your physical body, your mind, your emotions, and your spirit.
Self-care is the habit of stepping back from the cares of this world and finding life-giving activities to pour into your physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health especially during times of stress.
How to Put Self Care into Practice
Of course, it’s easy to talk about self-care but it’s another thing to practice it.
In the next few paragraphs, I’m going to teach you a few self-care strategies that you can easily implement into your schedule this week and the weeks ahead.
So, Let’s Begin–
Start by taking out your favorite journal, or notebook and writing down all of the self-care strategies, activities, and exercises you can think of in the following four categories: the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual areas of your life.
Come up with your best ideas of things that will help to restore and maintain balance to your spirit, soul, and body in the next few weeks.
Just write down anything and everything you can think of. No need to edit. You won’t use every idea but some may come in handy at a later date.
Now, take out your calendar, day planner, or open your online calendar and start scheduling a few of your favorite ideas in each of the four categories:.
For Spiritual Self-Care here are some suggestions:
- Create a list of your favorite uplifting scriptures and read them out loud to yourself each morning and/or evening.
- Add a daily Bible reading plan to your morning routine.
- Have a daily prayer time.
- Interact with people who feed your heart and your spirit.
- Attend on-line faith-based services.
- Participate in a Bible Study group online.
- Listen to online sermons on your daily commute to and from work if you are working outside of your home.
- Add the YouVersion app to your phone and enroll in a few plans relevant to what you are needing right now.
For Physical Self Care consider the following ideas:
- Take a walk,
- Plant a container garden
- Play with the dogs in the backyard.
- Have a spa day at home and give yourself a mani-pedi
- Bake a cake, cupcakes, or make some cookies,
- Create a special meal for your family complete with your best place settings
- Have a picnic in the backyard
- Order take-out from your favorite restaurant,
- Invest in a good skin care regimen.
- Buy a diffuser and essential oils for your home office.
- Schedule your bedtime early enough to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
For Emotional Self-Care consider a few of these:
- Schedule time with your family engaging in activities like a movie or game night or have a family talent show.
- Take a nap in the afternoon with the kids
- Be aware of your thoughts. Replace negative thinking with positive thoughts before you start going down into the dark hole of negativity.
- Start a gratitude journal.
- Meditate on the Word
- Watch an uplifting or funny movie.
- Take a few deep breaths.
- Practice saying no when you really do not have the time or energy to help.
- Learn to set boundaries at home and at work.
- Phone or Facetime a friend (or two)
Mental Self-Care Ideas:
- Spend time on activities that encourage positive thoughts.
- Read a book a week.
- Learn something new every day.
- Enroll in a class online
- Subscribe to Lynda.com or enroll in a class on Udemy.
- Teach an online class.
- Teach a Sunday school class via Facebook or YouTube.
- Learn a new craft.
- Complete a daily Sudoku or crossword puzzle.
- Subscribe to podcasts that offer value to your well being.
Once you implement a few of these ideas, you’ll discover scheduling and practicing self-care is not as difficult as it sounds!
If you want to be successful in any endeavor including self-care, you have to have accountability. Consider setting up weekly check-ins with yourself, with your spouse, with friends or even with a mastermind group. Facetime each other and encourage one another.
I. Check-in with yourself weekly. Take the time on Friday evening at the end of the workweek or Sunday night before going back to work to reflect on your self-care plan. Did you make time for yourself this week? Did you spend time feeding your body, mind, spirit, and emotions so that you are able to be a blessing to someone else?
II. Check-in with a friend or a group of friends. Recruit a friend, a group of friends or your spouse to participate in a month-long self-care plan. Get together for a video chat or a conference call on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning to discuss everyone’s progress, Make it a habit to support each other, especially during this time of stress.
I have provided a guide in the Download that includes the ideas we have discussed here as well as others. The list was created prior to the Pandemic so you will have to modify some of the suggestions.
Click on the button to download the free printable.
“You owe yourself the love that you so freely give others.”
In this article, I’ve mentioned journaling and other activities that will help you with self-care. I’ve decided to also include a list below of things intended to give you inspiration, give you wisdom, and/or help you relax and feed your spirit.
I have added the descriptions and links to each one so you can add a few of these ideas to your self-care routine.
Better yet, order a few things for someone you know who is shut-in and going through a difficult time right now. I know it would bless them.
Products for emotional self-Care
Daily Writing Journal for Men & Women.
- Journaling is the best way to get all of those swirling thoughts, questions, fears, hopes, dreams, and prayers out of your head and your heart and down on paper.
- Journaling helps you process the things that are causing you to worry or those things you just don’t have the answer to. When you take the time to pour it all out, suddenly the world doesn’t seem so overwhelming and the answers become crystal clear.
- This beautiful journal includes stickers, a habit tracker, monthly reflections, and a gift box!
- IT IS PERFECT FOR SELF CARE with page after page of Inspirational quotes, guided prompts, and a gratitude section included!
Travelers Notebook Refillable Journal Faux Leather Shining Cover with Zipper Pouch
- Another great option for journaling is this beautiful, sparkling, black traveler’s journal. If you need to process your thoughts on the go, this is the journal for you.
- This refillable journal comes with 2 blank notebooks inside perfect for putting those thoughts on paper when you don’t want or need prompts to clutter up your pages.
- The zippered section is an added bonus. You can use the notebook as a small clutch when you go on long or short trips.
- I think you should schedule your next self-care getaway and take this journal with you.
Disney Pixar UP
- Sometimes when life gets overwhelming, the best thing we can do is turn it all off for a few hours and just unwind.
- And what better way to do that than to spend a few hours with the family watching a movie that is uplifting and inspiring.
- The story of UP begins with the beautiful love story of Carl and his bride. Ellie.
- After Ellie passes away, Carl decides to attach a thousand balloons to his little home and float off to South America. Unbeknownst to Carl, an 8-year-old Wilderness Explorer Scout named Russell has hitched a ride and is now part of Carl’s adventure.
- UP is a wonderful story of two unlikely individuals that discover how much they need each other.
- It’s the perfect feel-good movie for an afternoon spent with the people you love.
Twenty Wishes (A Blossom Street Novel)
- Want to go off to your self-care happy place? Debbie Macomber has just the ticket for you.
- In the novel, Twenty Wishes, four widows each make a list of wishes or things they’ve secretly always wanted to accomplish but never did.
- In this book, Debbie transports us to Blossom street and into the lives of a group of inspiring women who aren’t afraid to act on their dreams!
- This feel-good novel will have you making your own list of wishes…
- After all, dreams really can come true.
For Spiritual self-Care
When we need a book that ministers to our hearts, we know we can turn to authors like Max Lucado and Mark Batterson. Although each minister has their own unique style, both of them have an ability to tell stories that paint a picture of Christ’s love in a way that is pretty much unparalleled. Any book by Mark Batterson or Max Lucado is sure to inspire you and give you hope. We have chosen to focus on two that we want to read.
- In Unshakable Hope, Max Lucado assures us that for every problem in life, God has given us a promise.
- Max Lucado has chosen 12 Bible verses and uses each of the promises to help equip us to overcome difficult circumstances.
- Max helps us focus on the promises rather than the problems.
- Max continually reminds us that for every problem that comes in life, God always gives us a promise.
chase the lion
- Chase the Lion is more than a catchphrase; it’s a radically different approach to life. It’s only when we stop the fear that is threatening to overwhelm us that we can fully seize opportunities. With grit and gusto, New York Times best-selling author Mark Batterson delivers a bold message to everyone with a big dream.
- This is a wake-up call to stop living as if the purpose of life was to simply arrive safely at death. Our dreams should scare us. They should be so big that without God they would be impossible to achieve. Quit running away from what you’re afraid of.
- Go ahead and make plans to Chase your Lion!
What is your five-hundred-pound dream?
Beautiful Word Journaling Bible
- This Beautiful Word Bible is created with blank space on every page so you can add your own journal entries, drawings or other art creations. If you have an artistic bent or you like to journal, this Bible is for you. Let the Word encourage you every morning during your prayer time.
- The Beautiful Word will help you discover inspiration and wisdom to take you through every season of your life.
NIV, Journal the Word Bible for Women, Leathersoft, Brown/Pink
- This is another great feminine option for you as you work on your spiritual self-care. Pink is one of my favorite colors that’s why I’m fond of this particular Bible.
- If pink is not your thing, consider getting a soft cover Bible in your favorite color.
yOUVERSION bIBLE aPP
- YouVersion is a part of my self-care routine each morning and it can be yours as well.
- In case you don’t know, YouVersion is a Bible Reading app that you can add to your phone. In addition to having a multitude of different versions of the Bible on it, it has hundreds of Bible reading plans and devotionals that you can choose to sign up for. The reading for the day shows up in your app each morning.
- Keeping up with Bible reading is easy with YouVersion. Since many versions of the Bible can be played aloud, I am able to open up the app to my plan, The Entire Bible in a Year, and just push play. I then listen to my daily Bible readings while I am getting ready for work. And, because it’s part of my daily routine, I manage to listen to the entire Bible each year.
- Partners of the YouVersion Bible App have made it possible for the company to offer 1,904 different Bible versions in 1,303 languages free and without advertising.
- If you don’t have this app on your device, you need to download this one today. Remember, this Bible app is free!
when you need Physical Self-Care
THE ARTNATURALS GIFT SET
- Personally, I really find the scents of diffusers to be soothing and restful. I have given this set as a gift on more than one occasion. I don’t know about you but I turn on my diffusers every single day. I would recommend you get one of these for your home or if you have a diffuser, buy one for a friend.
- This set comes with a sweet little diffuser & 8 essential oils
- It has 7 LED lights that can be set to stay on one color or can be set to cycle through all 7 colors. We like to turn it on in the living room and use it as a nightlight when we go to bed.
- This diffuser has a timer with 3 settings that can be scheduled to stay on for 1 hour, 3 hours or continuously. We turn ours on to the continuous setting and when the water runs out, it will turn itself off automatically.
- We think you should add this one to your self-care list today.
Vis-Ting eSSENTIAL oIL SET
- If you already own a diffuser but you are in need of new pure grade essential oils, this set of 6 VisTing oils will help you create your own peaceful little corner of the world. And, they are extremely affordable!
BlankieGram Faith Throw Blanket with Inspirational Thoughts and Prayers
- The Blankiegram Faith Throw is the perfect way to wrap yourself or someone you love up in prayer.
- The company says their goal is to “Cover the World in Hugs and touch the hearts of those in need”. I think they do that well with this blanket.
- With every purchase, the company donates blankets to those who need love and encouragement. How’s that for sharing a bit of self-care?
- I am a sucker for anything pink. The folks at Blankiegram say the beautiful pink color ” is a color that shows appreciation, respect, and admiration. Pink also enhances self-esteem as well as artistic and creative energies. Spiritually, Pink is the color of the heart and represents unconditional love, tenderness, caring, and compassion.” How’s that for self-care?
- This blanket comes not only in beautiful pink but also in teal, purple. and silvery blue.
- I think we should buy one in every color to have on hand when we need to give a special gift to someone who needs a little bit of encouragement. Perhaps an elderly person on the block?
Dream North Gel Pillows (2-Pack)
- We can all agree, sleeping well is the perfect start to great self-care.
- And, sleep is important in times of stress.
- These pillows are perfect for side and back sleepers.
- They are dust mite, mildew, and mold resistant so they promote good health as well as a restful night’s sleep!
Single Serve K Cup Coffee Maker Brewer for K-Cup Pod & Ground Coffee by Sboly
- Is there a better way to start your perfect day than with a great cup of coffee? I don’t think so!
- if you’re working from home, you’ll need lots of coffee to get you through your new work at home routine.
- Creating your cup of morning coffee in this single cup coffee maker means you get a fresh cup of coffee every single time you use it. No more burnt, old coffee taste! How’s that for self-care?
- This coffee maker allows you to brew a cup of coffee using your favorite ground coffee or your favorite K-cups. A button on the side allows you to choose your preference.
- Press two buttons and the machine will clean itself! Forget to shut off your machine? Don’t worry, the machine will automatically turn off after brewing a cup of coffee. A coffee maker is a morning must-have!
for Mental Self-care
Mental self-care involves keeping our minds alert and always open to learning. Reading, completing puzzles, and engaging the creative part of your brain is an important part of self-care for your brain.
How to stop worrying & start living
- When you’ve made a decision to work on your mental self-care, then Dale Carnegie’s book, How to Stop Worrying and Start Living is a must-read.
According to Carnegie, psychologists & doctors’ believe:
- Worry can have a negative effect on your overall health and well-being.
- Worry may interfere with your sleep.
- Worry can negatively impact your relationships.
- Worry is one of the factors for High Blood Pressure.
- Worry causes headaches and muscle tension.
The book gives step-by-step basic techniques for analyzing worry in order to develop better-coping skills!
And, as a bonus, a section of this book deals with ‘How to eliminate 50% of your business worries’.
The 125 Best Brain Teasers of All Time
The Best Brain Teasers of All Time puts your mind to the test and takes your mind off of your worries. This book has
- 125 Brain Teasers that require no special skills to solve. Plus, each question comes with an optional clue in case you get stumped and a handy answer key in the back to test yourself or play with friends
- Brain Teasers for Every Level that cater to beginners and advanced masterminds alike, with brain teasers organized by level of difficulty to improve your skills as you move forward
- Hints of History that provide fun facts and background information for every brain teaser. This book will help you learn while you’re spending time at home.
Coogam Metal Wire Puzzle Set of 16 with Pouch
- This puzzle set Includes 16 different style metal wire puzzles, made of high-quality metal.
- Each puzzle keeps its shape from keeps from bending and breaking.
- The IQ toy doesn’t have sharp edges to keep you and your children safe.
- The ring puzzle is specially designed to test your brain, It helps with practicing concentration and focus. This is another productive alternative to sitting and worrying or watching too much tv.
Whatever you choose to do and however you choose to do it, I hope you make a decision to invest in yourself and your overall well-being today.
Do me a favor and comment below on ways you plan to incorporate self-care into your schedule this week.
I wish you peace, health, and happiness in the weeks ahead. Remember to stay in faith and not in fear.
Comments are closed.