This soup is the offspring of the WW cabbage soup. We used to make the cabbage soup at a time when we were counting points for Weight Watchers at my house. As we strayed from point counting, the recipe evolved.
Because my family likes things spicy, the first change was adding Rotel tomatoes. We also added chicken.
I really think you can take this recipe and change it up in a variety of ways.
- 2-3 tsps Minced Garlic
- ½ Small Onion Diced
- 3 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 Can Green Beans Drained
- 2 Cups Chopped Cabbage or Coleslaw Tri-Color Mix
- ½ Cup Carrots Chopped
- 1 Small Zucchini or Yellow Squash Chopped
- 2 Cups Shredded Chicken
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Spray a large stockpot with nonstick spray. Saute onion and garlic for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Next add the Rotel tomatoes, drained green beans, and coleslaw mix.
- If I use plain chopped cabbage, I add the carrots next. If I use the coleslaw mix, the package already has carrots in with the purple and green shredded cabbage so I skip the carrots.
- Next, add the shredded chicken. We usually use rotisserie chicken to make cooking time faster.
- Add the chopped zucchini or yellow squash.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve with Tortilla Chips.
This soup is an inexpensive meal that only takes about 30 minutes to prepare.
Spanish flan would be a great dessert to serve with this spicy chicken soup.
Join the Little Blog Family
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.